Friday, April 1, 2016

No Joke-It's My Anniversary

Day 145



It was eleven years ago today that I moved to Houghton Lake. That very day I went into town to buy some fast food as I hadn't been shopping yet. As I was driving along looking for the Taco Bell which I knew was on the left side of M-55, I noticed a state trooper behind me. I thought nothing of it as I was driving slightly under the speed limit looking for the restaurant.

After a short time the blue lights came on and I quickly merged into the right lane to get out of the way. The trooper stayed behind me and I pulled off the road wondering what I had done wrong. I had just moved here from southern Warren. In Warren it's not uncommon to be pulled over for no reason other than you might be doing something illegal.

I once had the Warren police follow me home from the corner gas station because I was parked on the side of the building. It was full daylight and I was putting air in one of my tires. Very suspicious.

So as I'm waiting for the trooper, who's as big as a redwood tree, to walk up to my drivers side window, I notice the Taco Bell that I was looking for, not a city block away. After examining my old pickup truck he finally says to me, " You were in the left lane for more than a mile. The left lane is for emergency vehicles and making left turns. Also, you were driving 5 mph under the speed limit."

Welcome to Houghton Lake.

After explaining I had just moved here and wasn't sure of the exact location of the T.B., he let me go with a warning.

So I learned my lesson and only drive in the left lane as long as there isn't a cop in sight.

And that's no April Fools joke.

Until tomorrow,

Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment