Friday, April 8, 2016

Rogue One Trailer Review

Day 152

First let me say I am a Star Wars junkie. I have been since I sat in a movie theater in Southfield, Michigan and saw a Star Destroyer seem to fly overhead and onto the silver screen. And into movie history. One of the most beloved movie series of all time as attested by the receipts taken in from the latest incarnation at movie theaters. I have read and enjoyed many of the one hundred plus novels.

That said.

I am already more impressed with Rogue One: A Star Wars Story than I was with The Force Awakens, and the movie doesn't come out until December, eight months away. All I've seen so far is a two and a half minute trailer and it shows a NEW story.

Obviously Rogue One happens just before A New Hope (the original movie). The story of locating and stealing the plans for the new weapon known as the Death Star. Whereas The Force Awakens is a blatant remake-rip off of the original movie, Rogue One is actually new and doesn't need to rely on original characters and aging actors.

The use of original characters and story of TFA was a blatant and extremely successful marketing campaign. It broke box office records but left a bad taste in the mouth of hard core Star Wars fans.

Strangely enough I want to see TFA again just because I need my Star Wars fix, but I am hopeful Rogue One will be much more satisfying. A new hope, if you will pardon the pun.

Until tomorrow,

Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment