Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Authors and Writers Are Not the Same

Day 163

Currently I'm reading the third installment of The Little Women series by Louisa May Alcott. I'm also working my way through Mr Mercedes by Stephen King. Both excellent writers with very different styles of story telling.

I get daily notices from Bookbub letting me know about books that are popular, within a certain genre, with readers. Often there are free ebooks. The authors give them away hoping you will become interested and buy their other books.

I have downloaded a few of these books and I have to say, I'm not too impressed. I do try to keep an open mind and remember not all writers have voice as resounding as the previously mentioned authors. But the difference between them is overwhelming.

Most anyone can publish an ebook on Amazon. But to sell that book takes word of mouth which only comes from being at least a very good book. Still I am spoiled by the classics from Mark Twain, Edgar Rice Burroughs and Charles Dickens to name a few.

Maybe it's not fair to compare modern writers to yesterdays authors but I can't help it. Either way I am confident I can write a successful novel. I also want to emulate those authors who's work is recognized as worthy of reading.

Until tomorrow,

Ken



No comments:

Post a Comment