Wednesday, April 27, 2016

I Don't Understand Women

Day 171

I don't understand women.

Every male ever born can make the same claim.

More specifically, I don't understand most women authors.

At this time, I believe women authors may significantly out number their male counterparts. So it's inevitable that I read some novels from women authors. Recently I have read two, both suspense thrillers and both good enough to make Hollywood produce feature films.

One was called Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. An excellent story and a movie that was extremely true to the book. The second was a novel by Paula Hawkins titled The Girl on the Train. Also a very well written, although a bit wordy for my taste.

In the telling of both stories I have a hard time relating to some of the characters actions.

In Gone Girl, I don't like the ending. I won't expose anymore in case you want to read it, but I don't find the the husbands reaction at the end completely believable.

In the second novel, I find it hard to believe the character Rachel could be so naive and try so hard to insert herself into a total strangers life.

I also can't understand a character having alcohol induced blackouts and still drinking like she does. It would scare the crap out of me. I know there are people out there who do have these problems but I can't believe they are functional.

I once read a murder mystery, written by a woman author, about a serial killer. A woman trying to solve the murder of her niece gets caught in a cabin, in a snow storm, with a brooding man she believes is the killer. What does she do? She has consensual sex with him. He's so good looking. Seriously?

It turns out he is the father of one of the victims, but she doesn't know that when she sleeps with him. Did I mention she ends up pregnant? A replacement for the daughter he lost.

Any women who are reading this, are probably thinking, "Yeah, so?"

I just don't get it. But then, I don't have to. I am not their target market.

There are women authors who have written some of the Star Wars novels that I found very enjoyable and well written. It not that their women, it's their point of view.

So once again, I don't understand women.

But that's OK, they don't understand me, either.

Until tomorrow,

Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment