Sunday, April 24, 2016

The Amish Train

Day 168

I was driving down the road, on one of my Sunday afternoon pleasure rides. When I came around a tight turn. Suddenly there was a black, horse drawn carriage, coming from the other direction.

I think the fellow was as startled as I was as he swerved just a bit onto the shoulder. The horse just kept trotting along, clip-clop, as if a car driving 55 mph passing this close by was as normal as a squirrel crossing the road.

It wouldn't have concerned me except I had recently heard of a tragic accident that had killed two people and injured others when a carriage had collided with a car.

I assume the young, bearded fellow driving the carriage opposite me also had heard of the mishap.

Soon I saw another black carriage coming my way along a straight section. This time I was able to slow a little and stay more to the right edge of my lane.

Needless to say, as I passed the third black carriage, my Sunday evening nature watching and wool gathering came to an end. I was now on full alert.

I crested the next hill and saw a remarkable sight. At least twenty of the black conveyances was coming toward me in a mostly even measured line like an Amish train. Going all the way back to the 3 way intersection where I would be making my turn.

At the interrsection there were several more coming from the left. Thankfully, I was turning to the right.

It being Sunday, I assumed, they were coming from or going to a church service or some other meeting or gathering.

Regardless, when I saw all of those horse drawn Amish carriages coming along the road, I had a flashback to a Rubber Duck and a song that was very popular in the seventies. I just smiled and thought to myself...

"Mercy sakes, looks like we've got us a convoy...Connvooyyy!"

If you don't remember or your too young to have heard it, here's a link Convoy.

This the Rubber Duck 10-10 on the side.

Until tomorrow,

Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment