Sunday, January 31, 2016

Eating Well in Houghton Lake

Day 84


I moved to Houghton Lake form Warren in April of 2005 and since then I have gained 70 lbs. It's the restaurants in this area.

Down state there are plenty of glitzy restaurants and not so glitzy eating establishments. Here in Houghton Lake we have a lot less glitz and a whole lot of family style dining. And that means good hot food and plenty of it.

One of my favorites is Garrett's Restaurant on M-55 next to the new Little Caesars. They make the best ham and cheese omelet in the area. On Thursdays they make a Grilled Club Sandwich with Fries direct from heaven. I haven't tried their Chicken N Biscuits yet, but I will. I saw another diner eating this one day and I have to wait until it's on the daily special menu again.

The best Biscuits and Gravy goes to Shaker's Restaurant also on M-55. The gravy has a noticeable amount of course black pepper so if you don't like pepper it's probably not for you. They have a House Salad made with a salad dressing that comes from an old family recipe. Fabulous.

I haven't had a pizza from Buccilli's yet but it's on my list. The parking lot is always full. G's Pizza near Walmart is also reputed to be very good.

Even the fast food restaurants here give you more. I really enjoy Arby's Beef & Cheddar. The last time I had one down state was in Warren. The cheese sauce on this was smaller than the pickle on a McDonalds cheeseburger. I had a Beef & Cheddar here in Houghton Lake and there was so much cheese sauce it was all over the wrapper.

There are several more excellent restaurant's here and I could spend the day writing about them but I won't. You'll just have to find out for yourself which is your favorite. Enjoy.

Until tomorrow,

Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment