Monday, January 11, 2016

David Bowie...Thanks for the Music & the Memories

Day 64


In 1983 I spent five months vacationing in Europe and cruising around the Mediterranean, in a submarine, on Uncle Sam's dime. It was pure culture shock for me, riding in the submarine, Europe not so much. It seems we have a lot in common. I was able to find many Europeans who spoke English which made my time there much easier and more enjoyable.

Most of my time in port was spent on a small island, off the coast of Italy. Actually there were three; The Rock was the nickname for the base where we resupplied. Close by but only accessible by boat were La Madeleine and Palau, on two separate islands. La Madeleine being the older and more traditional city and Palau more of a resort town for vacationers. The latter is where I spent most of my time when on liberty.

Palau had the discos, beaches and the young people, as I mentioned, from all over Europe.

The number one song was Let's Dance by David Bowie. It was played in every dance club and usually a half dozen times a night or more. If it wasn't for the fact that we were only in port 2 weeks or less (usually 2 days), I would have quickly grown tired of it.

A year later it was Bowie's Blue Jean. A song meant to mock the american penchant for wearing designer blue denim jeans which still is in fashion here in the U.S.

David Bowie had many hits throughout his career. Yet these two stick in my mind along with Space Oddity (Major Tom). He has now joined the other rockers in the great beyond.

Thank you David Bowie for the music and the memories.

Until tomorrow,

Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment