Saturday, October 15, 2016

It's 5 AM...I Must Be Cooking

Day 342

I'm sitting here at 5:20 AM, writing my blog post for the day while boiling potatoes for a Pirogi Lasagna. The Temptations mini series is on the TV, a great mini series if you are a fan of the Temptations, lots of music.

Sitting here at this hour cooking reminds me of my grandma. On Thanksgiving, she would come over to the house at 5 AM, and start preparing the feast that would forever shine in my memory as one of the happiest times of my life.

She would wash the turkey and get it ready for the oven that would be going strong all morning and into the afternoon. Several days before she would buy bread and set it out to dry for the handmade stuffing. Most everything was handmade from scratch. The yams were buttered and brown sugared. The squash was baked and the flesh scooped out, mixed with butter, salt and pepper and mashed by hand, as were the potatoes.

The scent of cinnamon and nutmeg filled the air as the pies were baking in the oven. Apple and pumpkin, and mince meat for grandpa. Then the yeast rolls just before we sat down and gave thanks for the bounty we were about to receive. Grandma always said the prayer, and asked for the blessings that I could see were already bestowed on us. Family and food, a warm home with a cozy fire in the fireplace.

Later, with my belly filled, I would curl up on the couch and dream of the toys I would get for Christmas.

Until tomorrow,

Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment