Sunday, October 2, 2016

Heartburn...Outta Here

Day 329

In keeping with yesterday's post, I frequently have heartburn, accompanied by a bloated stomach. Especially at night when I am trying to sleep. This is also known as acid reflux. Tums doesn't work
for me, so I found an home remedy alternative to modern antacids.

As I was listening to an old radio show, one character suggested a bicarbonate of soda for the others upset stomach. This was a common powder taken with water to relieve stomach ailments such as heartburn and bloating. Simply put bicarbonate of soda is...baking soda.

I remembered my high school chemistry class had a box of baking soda in case someone spilled acid on themselves. They would immediately pour the baking soda on the affected area to neutralize the acid.

At less than $1 a box, it beats the hell out of Prilosec at $12 for 14 tablets. I have been using about a tablespoon of baking soda in water, almost every night for 2 months and still have half a box left. And it works great.

I take a tablespoon of baking soda in a small glass of water about 45 minutes before bed or when the heartburn hits me. Within minutes of drinking the solution, I have a good belch or two and I instantly feel better. The bloating is relieved and the stomach acid is counteracted. All for a penny.

I can't say this will work for everyone. But if you have a heartburn and some baking soda, give it a try, you may be surprised.

There is one caveat. It tastes bad. Like drinking salt water. But it is well worth it for the relief it brings.

Until tomorrow,

Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment