Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Not My Fault

Day 115

It's going on 10 pm and I have diddled the day away. I arose from my warm bed at a decent hour, at least decent for me, and after morning coffee and much deliberation I decided, rather than begin a new story, to crank up the snow blower and remove the offending white crystals from my deck, walk and driveway. I considered clearing the snow off the car but that would have put more snow in my driveway where I had just cleared it away. So I concocted a plan to take the car for a ride and let the snow blow off as I drove. Then it would be spread down the street and the township could not ticket me for blowing snow from my driveway into the road, as my snow would mix with the road snow and be indeterminable, in a court of law, which snow was mine and which was on the road already. Brilliant.

Having accomplished my original goal and being too exhausted from my labors to endeavor to put in motion the second, and most ingenious (if I do say so), part of my plan. I went inside and after having  had a nice breakfast, I read my second Dan Brown novel until I fell asleep. At this juncture I must point out that although Dan Brown is one of my favorite contemporary authors, I do feel his novel, Deception Point, is a bit long winded. That said, I am enjoying it and should finish it tomorrow. At which time I will begin reading a collection of Mark Twain short stories.

As for the second part of my snow removal brain child. The sun came out, for just an hour or so this afternoon, and disrupted my plans. Whereas the snow originally had been powdery and loose, it now had a bit of a solid crust on top. Being of sound mind, I took the brush from inside my auto and began to thrash the offending snow, quite soundly. Being careful not to accidentally push any off and onto my driveway. I cleared a small round peep hole in front and rear windscreen so that I might back out of my driveway and not ruin someone's day.

As I approached 55 mph my plan was working perfectly until I engaged my wipers to clear the snow from my windshield. It seems the sunshine had melted some of the snow and the resulting slush had turned to ice on my wiper blades. I stopped at the local grocer and cleared the ice from my windshield and wipers. I then decided that as long as I was there, I should pick up an inexpensive bottle of grape nectar to celebrate my cleverness.

I decided on a nice cabernet sauvignon from Yellow Tail vineyards in Australia. It has a crisp flavor not found in the inexpensive American wines. Barefoot vineyards wines are also good (for low cost wines) but as with all inexpensive wines they could use more aging. A mature wine is often less bitter and has more flavor. At least, so I am told. I personally tried to bottle my own wine at one time, but I am too impatient to wait five years or more to drink it. So I save my pennies until one day when I can afford to purchase a more expensive mature wine and I can decide if it's worth the wait. Currently I must say, it is not.

So there you have it. That is the reason I haven't finished writing a new story yet. Now I must finish my wine. And so, adieu.

Until tomorrow,

Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment