Friday, March 11, 2016

I Like Dreaming

Day 124

Why is dreaming about something is so much better than doing it? People sometimes dream of being in a relationship or married to someone. If and when it happens, the reality is not so sweet as the notion. Some dream of travelling to foreign and exotic lands but never leave their hometown. Others (including myself) dream of writing a novel, but never get around to it. And so on...

Is it the dream is unattainable, so we just give up trying to make it a reality? Is it because in the dream we have total control, especially when it involves other people? Do we just not believe in ourselves?

I think it involves a little of each. Lack of confidence, out of reach goals or wants, and a lack of control.

Relationships often fail because we cannot make the other person be who we want them to be. People can be molded to a point if they want to cooperate. If they don't want to change, they won't. That's true of all of us.

Lack of confidence is a big time dream killer. Nobody dreams of something ordinarily or easily attainable. Dreams are for reaching higher. Often beyond the limits we set for ourselves. Since we set our limits, we convince ourselves we can't reach our goal. And so we don't try. We just dream about it instead. Fear of change also falls under lack of confidence.

I won't tell anyone they can't achieve a goal no matter how impossible it may seem to me. But I will try to impress on that person the amount of difficulty involved so that they are prepared for the challenges they will face. I won't tell them I think they can't succeed, if I do and they find a way to succeed...I look like an ass. And deservedly so.

I have a nephew who wanted to be a techno DJ. I was talking with his grandpa and told him how difficult it is to be a paid DJ. I thought it easier to learn an instrument and play in a band. My nephew heard me and possibly thought I meant he couldn't succeed. What I really meant was it would be very difficult and require a lot of hard work. He tried once, failed and never tried again. I wanted him to understand he would probably fail the first time and maybe the next time and the next. But if he wanted it bad enough, he could make it. Maybe someday he'll try again.

I'm done blathering for tonight.

Until tomorrow,

Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment