Monday, March 28, 2016

Angry Poets

Day 141

Irwin Allen Ginsberg

Recently I wrote that I plan to publish a book of poetry. I have since discovered two things about poetry books.

One. A poetry book is often referred to as a "chapbook". Meaning a short book. Very popular at the beginning of the twentieth century. Usually a chapbook consists of 30-80 pages. This is the range I will be aiming for in my book.

There are numerous contests for poetry chapbooks. Occasionally there is a monetary prize but most often the promise of the winning chapbook being published. I have recently read of such a contest offering a first prize of $500 and publishing in both ebook and print through Amazon services with 25 author copies. The entry fee is $20.

I could publish my chapbook on my own for free through Amazon. I am computer literate enough to upload files and create a book cover. The cost to the author for books up to 100 pages is nominal. So the cost of copies and shipping would be low (approx. $3 per copy).

So other than winning the $500 prize and saving the cost of 25 copies (approx $75), would it be worth waiting to publish? If I win, I would get some exposure and add "winning a contest" to the list of accomplishments on my author page and website. Hmm.

Second. I have watched some poetry readings on YouTube. There is a lot of anger out there. All of the poets I watched were railing about or against some social issue.

Some of them were very good recitations done fast and emotional, these were obviously memorized and rehearsed for maximum effect. Others were halting readings not nearly as polished, proving many poets are much better writers than reciters.

Public speaking is a talent not everyone is gifted with. Certain actors boast of being Shakespearean trained. As Shakespeare is considered poetry it is easy to see the difference in the reading of a novice as opposed to someone who is trained to recite from memory.

I wonder now if I could do my own poems justice by reading them to an audience? I have read for a small group (ten or twelve people) but never for a large one. Even then it was halting as I was reading instead of reciting from memory. Practice makes perfect.

I contemplate this because, along with book signings, authors are often called upon to do readings to promote their book. I guess I need to get in shape both physically and vocally before I hit the road.

Until tomorrow,

Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment