Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Backus Lake Ice Will Be Off Soon

Day 128

My two man Bass Raider at Backus Lake summer 2012.

I drove to Backus Lake today. Surprisingly the road was in good shape. I assume there wasn't much traffic during the short winter and with the lower than normal snowfall the runoff did minor damage. There was plenty of dead fall across the road from the high winds, but they have already been cut back.

The ice is gone from the flooding area and the ice is half off the lake. No surprise there as Backus is a shallow lake, only about five feet at its deepest. With the lack off snowfall I can only hope there will be plenty of spring rain to fill the lake or at least maintain a decent level.

The mild winter should result in a low number of winter kill (the number of fish that die due to the lack of oxygen producing vegetation in winter). Some near record fish were being pulled out of both Houghton and Higgins lakes over the winter and I believe this trend will continue through the summer.

I can hardly wait to drop my small two man Bass Raider in at Backus Lake or Reedsburg Dam flooding. I don't expect to catch much until late May but it just feels good to be on the lake puttering around in my boat.

Once a sailor, always a sailor.

Until tomorrow,

Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment