Monday, March 21, 2016

Musings From My Mind - Love's Sweet Sting

Day 134

"If you love something, set it free. If it returns to you it's yours forever. If not, it was never yours to begin with."

"You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone."

"It's better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all."

I have lived long enough to have experienced all three. With gems like this out there, why should anyone be confused about love?

When I was a young man in my twenties I was in a relationship with a wonderful young woman. I let her go. I have tried for years to figure out why I let her go? Did I want to prove she would come back to me? She didn't. Was the grass greener on the other side of the hill? No, it was not. But what really has stayed with me is, if we had a good relationship, why didn't either of us fight to keep it going? We both just let it slip away.

Lesson: Before letting someone go, be sure they know they are wanted.

In my forties, a woman I had known and loved for eleven years, a woman who had become as much a part of me as my right arm, a woman who was an integral part of my everyday existence was diagnosed with terminal cancer. Seven and a half short weeks later she passed away and I discovered exactly how much she meant to me.

Lesson: It is easy to take someone for granted. Especially when they are a comfortable fit.

At each of these times I would have argued that it was not better to have loved and lost. If I had not loved I would not have felt such pain. If I had not loved I would not have experienced such ecstasy, warmth, passion and caring.

Lesson: To go through life without experiencing love would be the greatest loss of all.

Love can be bitter but it's that that makes it all the sweeter.

Until tomorrow,

Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment