Thursday, May 12, 2016

Traditional or Indie Publishing?

Day 186

Recently I read an article in one of the Detroit newspapers about a Michigan native, Steve Hamilton, who writes crime thrillers set in the U.P. He had a dispute with his publisher. Normally the publisher sets up interviews when a new book is set to be released and other publicity and when the book is released, book signings are scheduled.

It seems his publisher wanted him to make these arrangements for himself. From what I have been reading this is becoming an accepted practice for publishers, who feel they have a lot of cash outlay for a book that has not been proven popular i.e. a top seller.

I can understand their point of view. It is very costly for a publisher to set up a traditional book launch. But in exchange, the publisher pays the author a lower commission percentage.

This is one of the reasons I will go the indie publishing route (at least to begin with). I can retain total control of my book including title, cover art, fonts, distribution and price setting. Plus, I will be paid a significantly higher commission for ebook sales.

Through Createspace, an Amazon company, I can have my novel printed on demand. I don't have to buy a large number of printed copies that sit in my spare room if I can't sell them. If I want to I can purchase as many copies as I want at a discounted price. I could then sell them individually or through an independent bookstore on consignment.

Will it be more work for me to market my book? Yes. But given the direction traditional publishers are going, I would be giving up control, be paid less and still have to do the marketing on my own.

If I get my novel to sell well on Amazon, chances are a traditional publisher will know and make me an offer to publish my book in hardcover or paperback. Should I then wish to go that route.

Selling a new novel can be hard work, but after writing it, marketing it should be a piece of cake.

 Keep the faith.

Until tomorrow.

Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment