Monday, May 23, 2016

Houghton Lake and Surrounding Area Fishing Report 5/23/2016

Day 197

Houghton Lake:
Last Saturday I went fishing with my brother. There were many boats on the lake but I don't believe anyone was doing very well. I caught two out near Songers Point; one on plastic and one on nightcrawler. Sunfish and rock bass. The water is a little cold out toward the middle so the fish are still huddling near the shoreline, canals and tributaries. Any place the sun may be warming the water.

Lake St Helen:
What I've heard. As I said many sunfish, bass and walleye are being caught near canals. Another fisherman told me he was catching his limit of bluegill and walleye on Lake St Helen at night. He didn't specify "where" on the lake. Usually the best fishing on Lake St Helen is the Artesia Beach area. West of the boat launch although there is a tributary across from the boat launch area.

Backus Lake:
Haven't been on the lake yet. The wind hasn't cooperated for me 5 mph or less is best over 8 mph and my trolling motor has a hard time keeping up when trolling into the wind. Also nearly all of the camping spots are taken as of last Thursday.

Reedsburg Dam:
Water is still high making the river side of the dam difficult to fish. I haven't dropped the boat in there either, though I hope to soon. The wind there doesn't affect me as much because of the smaller size of the flooding. Better wind break.

Last I heard leeches were working best.

Until tomorrow,

Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment