Sunday, May 29, 2016

I'm Just Saying...Great Food is in the Conversation

Day 203

"Good company and good conversation can make even a meager meal seem like a feast fit for a king."

My friend Irene would call me up after going out with and old boyfriend of hers and tell me about this great restaurant they went to the night before. She would rave about the food being so wonderful that we would have to go there and eat some time.

Invariably we would go to this palace of culinary delights and each time we would be disappointed. After awhile this became a pattern with us. After awhile I also noted that when we went out we usually talked about business.

When Irene went out with her ex-boyfriend, they would talk about old times and the things they used to do. None of which included business. Also she would have a couple of cocktails.

I wasn't exciting conversation. And just so you know, the topic of conversation was not my choice. I was more like the old comfortable pair of jeans, popcorn and a movie. Sans the cocktails.

So while I was good company, talking business over coffee wasn't the same. Ergo, the meal wouldn't shine as it had the last time with whats-his-name.

More recently my mother, my brother and sister in law and I, had a very simple holiday dinner. Ham, potatoes, rolls and green bean casserole, with cranberry sauce and pickled beets. Meager compared to holidays when I was a child.  But just as fabulous with family and  good conversation. It was all we needed for a feast.

Until tomorrow,

Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment