Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Star Wars The Force Awakens: Where No Movie has Gone Before

Day 16

Let me clear this up first. I know “To boldly go where no man has gone before” is the opening for Star Trek not Star Wars.
.
Now to the point, which is $50 million in pre-release tickets being sold for the next installment of the Star Wars franchise now produced by Disney. Already $50 million and still 3 weeks before the opening. Thus far only Daniel Fleetwood, the fan who had terminal cancer, has seen it. Disney granted his request for a private showing because doctors told him he wouldn't live until the December opening. Disney agreed, quite graciously, and allowed Mr. Fleetwood to see the unfinished product. He passed away not long after. May the force be with him.

Back in 1977 when the first installment came out I refused to see it. I thought, seriously, who wants to see a movie with a name like Star Wars. It's right up there with Plan 9 from Outer Space (an Ed Wood piece of B trash). When the movie had been selling out for six months at the largest indoor screen in the Detroit area, the Americana theater, I figured it was worth a look. As I stood in line for 24 hour advance tickets, something unheard of in 1977, I was praying this was not another cult following like Rocky Horror Picture Show (Rocky Horror generally only played at midnight to hardcore fans shouting at the movie screen and occasionally dancing along with actors).

So when the lights went down and the opening story lines reverse rolled up and away from the audience, a nice effect, I thought it might not be so bad. A few minutes later came the sound of massive engines booming over the theater sound system as the most detailed spaceship I had ever seen in a movie cruised down the screen as if flying overhead. George Lucas had created a miracle of special effects. I was blown away and became an instant lifetime Star Wars fan. I have seen all of the movies numerous times and have read many of the over 100 books. A must for any Star Wars fan as the books answer many questions, such as how is a lightsaber made. Hint: very carefully.

My only regret at this time is that with the early success of the most recent addition it could be six months before it even makes it to the Pines our small town movie theater. Until it does I'll wait with anticipation of the new marvels that await.

So I learned long ago that while we should not judge a book by it's cover, it is also true we should not judge a movie by it's title. Until tomorrow.

Ken


No comments:

Post a Comment