Monday, June 13, 2016

Foxy Baby...

Day 218

I like driving the two lane blacktop. Our main road through town is M-55 and once you get out of Houghton Lake it turns to two lanes heading east to I-75. If you turn off before then you'll be on old M-55 to West Branch.

As I was driving home from my group meeting in West Branch, I saw a small animal, about a hundred yards ahead of me, crossing the road. It was moving gracefully. That eliminated squirrels, rabbits and raccoons. There are no houses in that area but still it looked and acted like a house cat.

As I drove closer, I could just see it's back above the tall grasses.

When I was just about along side I could see not one but three fox pups. The bushy tails were a dead giveaway. They were playing just off the road shoulder.

It's the first time I have ever seen a fox pup in the wild. A reminder of why I moved to this area. Peace of mind, slower life style and wildlife. I love the outdoors.

I thought "if only I had my camera". Fortunately I did not. Unless the mother has been killed, she is always present and protective. Had I stepped out of my car to take pictures, I probably would have had a mother fox latched to my leg, before I could take a picture, or get back in my car.

Anyway, like all animal babies, their very cute and best left alone.

Hint: If you see a baby bison on the road, do not stop and give it a ride.

That's it for tonight.

Until tomorrow,

Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment