Saturday, June 11, 2016

Alternative Life Style...Not For Me

Day 216

Do you remember the alternative bands of the 80's? Bands like The Smiths, The Smithereens, Fine Young Cannibals?

I spent most of the 80's in the Navy. So I wasn't really exposed to much new music. Mostly it was Duran Duran, David Bowie and Hall & Oates. Very main stream (at least in Europe where I spent some time in 1983).

Two of my closest friends back home in Metro Detroit, were getting into the Alternative music scene pretty heavy. They went to clubs in Detroit that specialized in Alternative. So naturally when I came home on leave, they wanted to take me to one of these clubs.

I wasn't into the music they were playing for me on their cassette players, but I was extremely happy to be home for a couple of weeks, so I was up for trying anything they wanted. I would keep an open mind.

It was a Tuesday night and we drove downtown to an area I had never been before (I can honestly say I have never been there since, and you will soon understand why).

Since we were downtown we had to pay for parking in a shabby dirt parking lot stinking of urine. Yet, I was no stranger to the seedier side of night life (or day time life for that matter). The building looked to be an escapee from the cities condemned list. Possibly the landlord payed off the building inspector. It happens.

My bones were throbbing from the deep bass beat, as we paid our cover charge and went inside. The only illumination was from black lights. The walls were covered with smears of florescent paint, like someone dipped a brush and swiped here and there in the dark.

Suddenly multi colored spot lights came up as the music switched to blaring horns, the intro to the famous song YMCA by the Village People. It took but a second to realize the room was wall to wall people.

At first, I didn't see any women. I thought the women must be somewhere to the front, maybe nearer the tables or the bar. As I was looking around, I noticed a young guy sipping an umbrella drink. He looked me up and down and gave me a smile. Suddenly, I was on full alert and soon found out why.

I swung around looking for the exit when I saw a sign saying,"Tues. Gay Night". The umbrella drink guy winked at me. My backside puckered up. You couldn't pull a pin out of my ass with a John Deere tractor. I was rigged for silent running and get the hell out of there. I pointed out the sign to my friends as made a quick retreat.

After arguing unsuccessfully with guy at the door for a refund of our entry fee, we piled back into the car and left. The guys kept swearing to me they didn't know the club had a Gay Night. I reassured them it was OK, their secret was safe with me.

After much ribbing, we went to a nice Irish pub and drank Guinness. Nobody was dancing and there was just one guy playing guitar and singing Irish folk songs. This was more my speed. Slow and steady with a little bit of whimsy.

Today when my buddies start talking about alternative music, I remind them of that night and tell them,"That alternative music, is just not my style".

Until tomorrow,

Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment