Tuesday, December 22, 2015

My Favorite Scrooge

Day 44


Ever since Charles Dickens penned A Christmas Carol the character named Ebenezer Scrooge has been used to describe anyone we feel is not in keeping with the Christmas spirit. Yet everyone loves a villain especially one who eventually see's the error of his ways and tries to rectify the wrongs.

So in keeping with the season I give you my favorite Scrooge.

Many have played Scrooge over the years both in cinema and live onstage. George C. Scott, Albert Finney, Kelsey Grammer, Tim Curry, Patrick Stewart and Jim Carrey to name a few. From The Muppets to Mr McGoo, all with their own variations on Scrooge.

My all time favorite is Alistair Sims in the movie Scrooge, the black and white version. I'm not a fan of colorizing B&W films. I just think he has the look of the character and his change is most convincing and so much fun "I must stand on my head". I like the Scrooge dance and the sincerity of his apology to his nephews wife is priceless.

The Disney version, starring Jim Carrey, is a delight and a marvelous feat of animation. I was not however, impressed with Scrooges being chased all over London by the Ghost of Christmas Future driving a horse driven coach. It was a complete departure from the original and did nothing for the story but add a chase scene.

Well it's been another long day and the holidays will soon be over and I will try to tell more interesting stories. Thanks for stopping by.

Until tomorrow,

Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment