Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Elwood P Dowd Said It Best

Day 38




Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, "In this world, Elwood, you must be" -- she always called me Elwood -- "In this world, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. And you may quote me.


Elwood P. Dowd from Harvey
One of my favorite quotes from the movie Harvey starring the late Jimmy Stewart. A fantastic movie about a gentle soul and a 6 feet tall rabbit called Harvey. Harvey is a pooka (Irish folklore) capable of either good or evil depending on it's mood. I think I met one once. 
We made an emergency stop in Holy Loch, Scotland. We needed a part for the ships water purifier and had to wait until one could be delivered. So we were given "Cinderella liberty" meaning we had to be back onboard the ship before midnight. Some friends and I set out at 10am in search of an open pub for a glass of suds. Town was just a brisk 5 mile walk. Later we learned that we could have called a cab.
We arrived in town at around noon to find nothing open, it was Sunday. After several hours of sightseeing, in a town it only took ten minutes to walk across, we found a pub owner willing to make money selling us beer. It was so nice of him.
About the time we learned that we could have taken a cab to town we also found out there was a bar on the base and the locals hung out there whenever a ship came in. Sailors are known for spending their money when in port. Who knew? 
This is where I met the pooka named Lola. 
She was about six feet tall, covered with hair and asked me to dance. When I politely declined she grabbed me and attempted to do unspeakable evil to me. She said, "Little boy I'm gonna make you a man". So I ran...I ran so far away. 
When I returned to the ship at 11:59pm I found out liberty had been extended to 0700 or 7am. I also discovered beer in Scotland is a lot stronger than here in the good old US of A. So I retired for the evening. The next day I heard Lola the pooka had found another victim. He was later discharged for mental instability.
Until tomorrow,
Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment