Sunday, September 4, 2016

True Mexico

Day 301

It was Labor Day weekend in Ensenada, Baja California, Mexico. It was 1986. Being a holiday weekend we were given an extra day off from Navy Sonar 209 Tech school. We went down to Ensenanda on Saturday. There was a cruise ship (I believe it was the Pacific Princess) from the television show The Love Boat was in port for a couple of days so there were Americans everywhere.

First I want you to understand, Port of Ensenada is an old Mexican city, over the years it has attracted tourism as a favorite port-of-call for cruise ships running the west coast. Much like the residents of Houghton Lake, the locals stay away on weekends and leave the tourists alone as much as possible. But once the tourists leave they come back to enjoy what there city has to offer including the night life.

I have written before about a bar there called Hussongs, established in 1892, it is the oldest cantina on the peninsula. Hussongs also claims to be the inventors of the Margarita, named after the woman for whom the bartender invented it. With $1 Margaritas and .75 cent long neck beer, it was a favorite of college students.

Saturday was pretty much as I thought it would be, hardly room to move with college students chugging beer into the night. There were only two bartenders but they did an admirable job keeping up with orders. There were very few tables so everyone just stood around drinking, laughing and having a good time.

Having experienced the crowds on Saturday, and with Monday being a holiday, I had considered going home early assuming Sunday would be as crowded as Saturday. As I had paid in advance for another night at the motel my frugality won out and I stayed.
On Sunday the cruise ship pulled out, as did most, if not all, of the college students. I assume they headed back to their dorms to get ready for the start of the semester. Everything slowed down including Hussongs.

Although the Mexicans don't celebrate Labor Day, they do celebrate the tourists leaving town. When my friend and I went back to Hussongs on Sunday night, it was a different place. The room had filled with tables and chairs and mostly locals. Amid a few stares, we made our way to a table near the back wall.

As we sipped margaritas, I looked at all of the sedate, smiling faces. Some of the patrons dressed in traditional Mexican clothing in beautiful vibrant colors with intricate needle work. Three women sat at the table next to us, looking to be about the same age as the college students who had been here the day before. The contrast was quite noticeable as they sat and chatted about their day? Family? Jobs? I don't speak Mexican or Spanish, other than a few words. I knew how to say "margarita please".

I enjoyed just watching the difference in how these people interacted with each other as compared to American's. They laughed and chatted but kept respectful of the others around them. Nothing outrageous, nothing bombastic, nothing attention grabbing. Just a pleasant evening with friends.

Soon a Mariachi band came in and began to play. Just three men with Mexican guitars playing traditional songs. With a healthy glow from the tequila, I watched the girls at the next table sing along. I couldn't understand the words but I could tell by the way they sang it was about someone falling in love, and then losing that love. With shining black hair falling in waves down to their shoulders and their dark brown eyes so soft, I decided it would be too easy fall in love with one of these girls.

We stayed for awhile, soaking up the Mexican culture before we retired to our motel room. I dreamt of beautiful women with long dark tresses and inviting smiles, in bright colored dresses. Of dancing and amour.

Until tomorrow,

Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment