Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Soul Mates?

Day 318

I may have mentioned this before, and if so I apologize for repeating myself. Irene had an almost childlike wonder at some of the things we did, which I took for granted. I have seen some of the world and done my share of unusual things. Bear in mind I was much younger and in excellent physical shape. It wasn't until my early forties that my weight was able to run amok which eventually caused other health problems and slowed me down considerably. I was just out of the Navy when I met Irene so I was still in great shape.

Our romantic relationship lasted about six months and ended do to her "biological clock" running out of time. We had met in our early thirties and neither of us had been married or had children. She wanted to have children and I had never given it any thought. To her that translated to 'I don't want children". To me it meant "I hadn't thought about children". Since then I have thought about it and today I believe having children is just not an adventure we all get to experience. I sometimes wish I had someone to pass on my knowledge and experiences, to mold and watch grow. But for me it was not meant to be.

After a time of painful transition we became close friends. I gave her space and would have stepped aside if she had met someone. My biggest fear was that she would meet someone and I would no longer get to call her whenever I wanted to talk about nothing special. Just chit-chat like friends do.

Irene had another ex-boyfriend whom she kept in touch with now and then. And even though we were just friends she would ask me if I would mind her having dinner with him, or going to a concert or other function. I felt it was nice of her to ask even though I had no right to say either way. He was her friend also. I can't remember his name so let's call him Tim. Tim didn't feel the same way I did about our triangle of friendship.

He and I were near exact opposites. He was a workaholic, I enjoy living. He was short, I am not. He was jealous, I was not (normally). He had been married and divorced, I have always been single. He had children, I did not. And so on.

I will continue this tomorrow as it is getting late.

Util tomorrow,

Ken


No comments:

Post a Comment