Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Houghton Lake Fishing Sept. 2016

Day 297

I drove by Reedsburg Dam campground today and it looks wide open with most sights available for anyone who plans on camping this Labor Day weekend. The water is at an average level for this time of the year. I didn't bring my fishing gear but I wish I had. Maybe tomorrow.

From what I have heard fishing had been very good this year. Again I wish I had brought my gear.

Leeches seem to be the favorite although I did well on nightcrawlers and even plastic swim baits worked though only about half as well as the live baits.

The last time my brother and I went out, we anchored once and never moved until we were finished and headed back to the marina. Mostly we caught small perch and some large bluegill. I was a fun day.

I've been reading in the local newspaper that there have been some record walleye being caught as well as some very large smallmouth bass. Not by me, of course, but enough to keep people coming back for the fishing.

Labor Day tends to mark the end of the summer vacation and we did have a busy summer here in Houghton Lake. It has been a dry summer so look for the fall colors to come early and probably not stay too long.

Until tomorrow.

Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment