Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Rubber Neck

Day 241

I was out of bed early and on my way to pick up my mother by 7:00 am. We were taking a day trip down state. Normally it was a 3 hour trip going down and a 2 1/2 hour return. I drive a bit faster when I'm coming home. The traffic around Metro Detroit makes me cringe.

The mood was somber and quiet during the ride down. We were attending a funeral. We made very little small talk and when we did it was about the lack of traffic going south. It was the beginning of the Fourth of July weekend and most traffic would be headed north. With a little luck, the majority of weekenders would be well on their way before we made the return trip.

The funeral was simple but nicely done. There were many in attendance. Mostly young people as the deceased was only 22 years old. At times like this I believe God tests us to measure our quality and to teach us to survive heartbreak.

Soon, I would tested to the extreme.

Traffic was worse than I remembered and I was ready to head home soon after we arrived. We didn't stay for the luncheon, my mother was worn out and I wasn't feeling sociable.

I thought the drive up Woodward Avenue to the Square Lake Rd crossover to I-75 would be filled with driving excitement. In reality, the traffic moved very well all the way out of the Metro area. It wasn't until we were halfway home that we came to a stop. Road construction. I cursed the idiot at the DOT and his inability to plan for the Fourth of July weekend.

Suddenly my mother became animated. She had gotten her second wind. And now she was gassing away about my driving. That lane was moving better than this lane. I should be in that lane. Why don't I move over into that lane? Every lane is moving better than this one.

I could feel my hairline receding as my mother hounded me to change lanes. My once jet black hair has turned white in an instant. My fingerprints were permanently pressed into the steering wheel. I noticed a nervous tick at the corner of my eye that had never been there before. I swear if they had tested my blood pressure they would have had me attached to a defibrillator, assuming my heart would stop any second.

Just when I thought I couldn't take it anymore an opening presented itself in the lane next to mine. I quickly changed lanes and drove another twenty yards. Then we came to a stop. Soon the cars in the lane I had just vacated began to wiz bye.

My mother didn't miss a beat.

"You should be in that lane. Why did you move to this lane? It isn't moving. You should never have changed lanes. Your problem is you have no patience. You never did."

At this point I was thought I could put the car in park, get out and start walking. What would be the worst that could happen?

I get hit by a car?

I'd die from the heat exhaustion?

A heart attack from the exertion?

Finally we passed the road construction and my mother ran out of gas. I was doing eighty as we crossed the Zilwaukee bridge. Eighty five as we sailed past the Bay City/US 10 exit. Traffic was still heavy but moving right along. I chose to stay on I-75 rather than take US 10 west to US 127.

The I-75 route was a few miles shorter.

We were moving fast. My mother was chattering away about the other cars but at least she wasn't criticizing my driving.

Then we hit the second slowdown/stop. Rubber-necks. A state cop had pulled someone over.

It took over four hours to get back to Houghton Lake We stopped at my mom's favorite restaurant as we hadn't eaten all day. I had to repeat my order twice. I kept giggling hysterically.

That was five days ago. I haven't left the house since. I wonder if I have enough food to last until October?

Until tomorrow,

Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment