Saturday, July 16, 2016

My Cat Calls Me To Bed

Day 251

I have had a number of cats over the years. One of my longest relationships was with a cat named Sassafras. She was originally owned by a little old woman, hence the name Sassafras. She was eight years old when she came to live with me and we were together for 14 years.

She was about twelve years old when she acquired the habit of calling me to bed at night.

She would walk off toward the bedroom (she slept in my bed) around 9:00 pm. After a few minutes she would walk back to the living room and sit and stare at me. Then she would get up and walk back down the hallway to the bedroom. She would do this three times, each time her actions would escalate. The second time she came to get me she would walk in a circle then sit for a minute, then get up and return to the bedroom. Finally, she would come out, turn three times and sit, meow and go back to the bedroom.

She developed a time schedule of 10 minutes between callings. After the third time she would stay in the bedroom and let out three loud meows. The first time I had heard this I thought she had hurt herself so I went to check on her. After that it became the final act in her little drama of trying to get me to come to bed.

Normally she would only do this when we were alone. If anyone came to visit she would just hide until they left. One friend though came often enough that Sassafras was used to her being there. So one night when Irene stayed late, Sassafras went into her act.

She came out, sat down and stared at me. I told her it wasn't time yet plus I had company. She got up and went to the bedroom. Then she came back, turned a circle and sat down. I said, "Not yet. It's early." Sassafras went to the bedroom. Soon she returned.

She spun around several times, sat down and looked me in the eye. A soft meow issued from her.

I decided to ham it up this time. "Aw, Sass...just ten more minutes and I promise to come to bed."

She stood and slowly walked back down the hallway.

Ten minutes later came three loud shrieks from the bedroom. Irene looked at me and asked, "What was that?"

"She's just mad at me for not coming to bed."

"You'd better go, or you'll be sleeping on the couch."

The next day I called Irene and explained my cats little idiosyncrasies. She laughed and told me we acted just like a cute, old couple. In some ways...I guess we were.

Until tomorrow,

Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment