Sunday, July 10, 2016

Oh, That's Cold...

Day 245

So far it's been the hottest summer since I moved up here eleven years ago. High 80's all through June and so far in July much of the same.

My window air conditioner in my living room stopped working last year. It was old when I moved in so I can't complain about how long it lasted. When I was living in a mobile home downstate, I bought an air conditioner because it gets so hot in a metal box.

Fortunately I brought that unit with me when I came north. Back then it was only a couple of years old and I didn't expect the one already here to last a season if it worked at all.

Now that I am in the worst shape of my life, I have spent the day lifting and carrying the new/used air conditioner to install in the window. What should have taken no more than twenty minutes, took me two hours.

You may be wondering if the unit still cools air after eleven years in exile. I must say I too was not sure if it still worked or even had Freon in it. I ran an extension cord out to the shed to test it first. It worked. For how long I don't know but I guess I'll find out. If it lasts a season I'll be happy.

As I write this my little AC is blowing icy cold air into my hot and muggy living room. I am hoping it will cool most of the air in the house before bedtime, as the bedroom is the hottest room in the place. It's hard to get any sleep in the bedroom.

Next year I am going to get a futon for my living room and sleep across from the AC.

It's been a long hard day so...

Until tomorrow,

Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment